I feel like I haven't done this since I was 16 (and that's probably for the best) but I have this ridiculously overwhelming urge to be nostalgic and unnecessarily loving at least one more time before I get too old and serious to do so. I'm writing letters of gratitude to a handful of my best friends, and each of them will be anonymous, because that's all the fun. Haha, "fun" (I'm mostly kidding) - it's really because I want the sentiments to speak for themselves; for them to read it and feel instantaneously special (because they are). I care about each and every one of you so very much, and this blog post is to remind you why
one
If selflessness was manifested, it would be you. I used to hold you on this greater-than-human pedestal, but now that I've grown up a little bit more, I realised that doing that was probably the wrong thing to do. You aren't just somehow immune to human selfishness; you have the same urges, passions and weaknesses, but somehow your generosity still conquers all of that. I don't know if I would have survived a lot of things without your support, and I'll always owe you more than you could ever owe me. Seriously. Whether that's just someone to talk to, or a friend to make things familiar when you're feeling far away. I want to remind you that I want to know you for as long as I know myself. You make me feel like being generous too, and I never want to lose that.
two
You're the person I can be myself around. I don't think I can be more myself around anyone other than you. I love your laugh, and it's crazy how I know that we both are so accustomed to the sound of each other's happpy-sad-happy-sad laugh/cries all too well. When I dream of my dreams coming to reality, you're always in them. Deep down I feel like I can't do it without you - you calm me, motivate me and remind me to believe in myself so much I think I rely on it. You're one of the only people that I'm not competitive with, because (a) deep down I know you're smarter than me, and (b) I just want to be by your side regardless. We might not have exactly the same interests (and especially not the same taste in men), but we love in the same ways, and we fear the same things. That's what matters the most to me.
three
I think you're insane. Like in both totally great and pathological ways. I love that we're crazy when we're together, and that you can out-talk, out-think, and out-perform me in pretty much anything. Yet even though you're so unreal, you're so goddamn grounded. You understand people - in that beautifully touching way where you can tell that it's truly you putting yourself in others shoes. You just get it. You just get me. I know you do. I'm so proud of your incredible strength and humility (underneath all the outward ego it's what everyone actually sees). Not to mention your absolutely fucking genius mind. I boast about you constantly, I hope you know that. I miss you terribly when you semi-disappear when things get rough. Even though I understand, you better not leave me too often; it's hard for me to cope.
four
Whenever I'm lacking resoluteness, I think of you. I think of how you're so magically outside-of-the-box, but at the same time so comfortable within it. Basically, you are my most talented, logical and strangely enough, my most endearing friend. It's probably because you're cute, haha, but also I think it's because you are so loyal it scares me. It scares me because I feel at times like I'm not pulling my weight to deserve such loyalty. You were actually one of the primary reasons I wanted to do this post. I really want to remind the "rocks" of my life - like you - that I am sincerely, wholly grateful for everything you are to me. For every funny fortnightly musing; every little catch up. You were my favourite person for a long time, and you always will hold that title.
five
It's been a while since I could write a letter like this to you. I think I adored you more than anyone in the world for a fragment of time, but it's crazy how far away that seems now. I cherish your cynical faith in my idealism, and how you still see me as naive (because let's be honest, you know all of my downfalls). You're probably the reason for some of my life's shittest states of mind, but you're most definitely at fault for some of the best. I am so happy we've grown to where we are now. You're usually the first one I think of calling when I don't know who to talk to, and that's saying something.
six
You're a one-woman wonder - it's so inspiring. You literally always know exactly what to say. I could tell after the first year of knowing you that your heart and mine were made of the same stuff. We've spoken about it countless times, but I can without a doubt imagine you right next to me for each of the big events of my life. What means the most though, is that I am more sure of the fact that you'll be the first at my side if those big events don't work out as planned. You have the brightest future of anyone I know, probably because you're so charismatic, driven, beautiful and ruthlessly honest. Just thinking of you makes me happy. You're one of those people I'd say "please don't ever change" to, and actually mean it - you deserve so much love.
seven
I sometimes chuckle when I think of how different we are. So many things about us are completely incongruent, yet somehow we make it work better than anyone. Your spontaneity is absolutely contagious, and I love the way you're still so determined with everything you do. I think 10/10 we're probably never, ever going to be able to get rid of each other, so I guess you'll have to put up with my annoying habits and self-absorbedness for another 80 years. I feel like you're the first person I'd trust with my most embarrassing things, even though I end up telling people anyway. But being first counts, right? That's it though, I love that most of what we do is this weird interplay of paying each other out like assholes and sending each other 50000 love hearts. I love it, like I love your silly face.
Okay more than 7 people will probably force Google to ban my blog for being disgustingly corny and unreadable.
Hope the 7 people I wrote about appreciate them though.
Over and out,
Mielz
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment